for the FLOW consortium.
NB : replace "AT" by "@" in the address appearing in your mailer.
The goal of the workshop is to discuss the concept of a LOFAR "super-station". Preliminary ideas for this concept are presented in the attached document. For a moderate cost, it could significantly enhance the capabilities of LOFAR in various observing modes.
During the workshop, we will consider the potential scientific impact of this concept and accordingly refine the concept. Our plan, if these discussions have a positive outcome, is to apply for funding in France that could lead to a detailed study and prototype realization.
This effort is open to the whole LOFAR community, which could either contribute to the concept or plan similar developments in other countries.
The format of the workshop will be essentially flexible, with a first part dedicated to technical issues and a second part to scientific objectives, the two being closely interdependent. Ample time will be reserved for discussion.
We look forward to seeing you there ! Please broadly distribute this announcement to your colleagues.
If you plan to attend please send an e-mail to Michel Tagger indicating your Name, Institute, and Title of contribution (if any).
NB : replace "AT" by "@" in the address appearing in your mailer
- Silvano BONAZZOLA, LUTh, Observatoire de Paris, Meudon, France
- Frédéric BOONE, LERMA, Observatoire de Paris, Paris, France
- Carine BRIAND, LESIA, Observatoire de Paris, Meudon, France
- Baptiste CECCONI, LESIA, Observatoire de Paris, Meudon, France
- Sylvain CHATY, SAp/AIM, Saclay-Université Paris 7, France
- Laurent CHEMIN, GEPI, Observatoire de Paris, Meudon, France
- Ismaël COGNARD, LPCE, Orléans, France
- Stéphane CORBEL, SAp/AIM, Saclay-Université Paris 7, France
- Nicole CORNILLEAU-WEHRLIN, Station de Radioastronomie, Nançay, France
- Ger DE BRUYN, ASTRON, The Netherlands
- Laurent DENIS, Station de Radioastronomie, Nançay, France
- Gregory DESVIGNES, LPCE, Orléans, France
- Michèle DREYFUS, Observatoire de Paris, France
- Cédric DUMEZ-VIOU, Station de Radioastronomie, Nançay, France
- Jean-Mathias GRIESSMEIER, LESIA, Observatoire de Paris, Meudon, France
- Roger KARLSSON, IWF / Space Research Institute, Graz, Austria
- Alexander KONOVALENKO, Institute of RadioAstronomy, Kharkov, Ukraine
- Elisabeth LALLIER-VERGES, ISTO / OSU Centre, Orléans, France
- Casey LAW, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Matt LEHNERT, GEPI, Observatoire de Paris, Meudon, France
- Karl-Heinz MACK, INAF, Bologne, Italy
- Olaf MARON, Institute of Astronomy, University of Zielona Gora, Poland
- Jader MONARI, INAF, Bologne, Italy
- Henrik OLOFSSON, GEPI, Observatoire de Paris, Meudon, France
- Thomas OSWALD, IWF / Space Research Institute, Graz, Austria
- Philippe PICARD, Station de Radioastronomie, Nançay, France
- Huub RÖTTGERING, Leiden Observatory, The Netherlands (presentation by G. DE BRUYN)
- Helmut RUCKER, IWF / Space Research Institute, Graz, Austria
- Gijs SCHOONDERBEEK, ASTRON, The Netherlands
- Michel TAGGER, LPCE, Orléans, France
- Gilles THEUREAU, LPCE, Orléans, France
- Rene VERMEULEN, ASTRON Radio Observatory, The Netherlands
- Philippe ZARKA, LESIA, Observatoire de Paris, Meudon, France
Michel TAGGER: "The FLOW consortium" (PDF 0.6 Mb) Rene VERMEULEN: "General status of LOFAR and E-LOFAR" (PDF 1.3 Mb) Philippe ZARKA: "The LOFAR Super Station concept" (PDF 0.8 Mb) Ger DE BRUYN: "LOFAR specs (rescoped), some CS-1 results and (long) baseline calibration issues" (PDF 2.7 Mb)
Science and Europe
Ben STAPPERS & Casey LAW: "LOFAR and Superstation for Pulsars" (PDF 1.5 Mb) Karl-Heinz MACK: "LOFAR and the Medicina Northern Cross" (PDF 1.6 Mb) Roger KARLSSON & Helmut RUCKER: "LOFAR Carpathian Mountains (CM) station" (PDF 0.7 Mb) Alexander KONOVALENKO: "Low Frequency Radioastronomy with existing and future radiotelescopes" (PDF 3.4 Mb) Huib INTEMA, Huub RÖTTGERING, et al.: "Source Peeling and Atmospheric Modeling" (PDF 1.7 Mb) (MPG movie 4.8 Mb)
Gijs SCHOONDERBEEK: "The Impact of LSS on Station hardware and software" (PDF 0.5 Mb) Philippe PICARD: "LOFAR remote station backend for LSS" (PDF 0.5 Mb) Cédric DUMEZ-VIOU: "Testing and comparing different types of antennae for LSS and other LF instruments" (PDF 0.5 Mb)
Discussion and Decision
It has been decided to proceed with the submission of an ANR request, with official support from Astron, possible science inputs from KSPs (to be arranged via C. Vogt), and European co-applicants (Austria, Ukraine, ...). More information will be made available here or sent to the workshop mailing list.
The workshop will be held at the laboratory "AstroParticules et Cosmologie" (APC) in Paris, which can easily be reached by public transportation (Access here).
The workshop will start at 10h on Thursday 17. Welcome and coffee will start at 9h30. The workshop will end in the afternoon (time tbd) of Friday 18.
We can provide assistance to seek hotel reservations in the area (hotels list close to APC or in Quartier Latin here).
Last modification on 19 january 2008